MINUTES
         REGULAR MEETING
ENGLEWOOD WATER DISTRICT BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
201 SELMA AVENUE
OCTOBER 6, 2011 at 8:30 A.M.

Board of Supervisors:           
Steve Samuels, Chair                                                
Taylor Meals, Vice-Chair          
Sydney Crampton
Phyllis Wright                
Paul Manke    

Staff:
Michael J. Ray, Administrator
Robert H. Berntsson, District Counsel
Roger K. Quick, Water Operations Manager
Jarl “Jay” D. Linden, P.E., Technical/Operations Support Manager
Sonia R. Zoeller, Finance Director
Teresa L. Herzog, Administrative Assistant

1.      The meeting began with the Pledge of Allegiance and roll call to establish a quorum.

2.      ANNOUNCEMENTS
a. The September 2011 Attorney’s invoice was added to the Consent Section.
b. Change in order moving 6a discussion item to Public Input.

3.      PUBLIC INPUT
a. R. Earl Warren - 353 W Dearborn Street (941-474-7768) Mr. Warren began by describing the event that lead up to the broken pipe at his property. Two meters are serving two units; a low pressure problem resulted in the installation of a new line. A pipe burst in one of the units causing damage. Mr. Warren questioned if too much pressure caused the break when the line was changed and who’s responsible for the expense of repairs. Mr. Ray responded that there was not abnormally high pressure on the line and anything between the meter and building is the owner’s responsibility however, if the usage was high it could be adjusted.

         b. Attorney Michael R. McKinley – 223 Taylor Street (941-639-2171) Mr. McKinley is the Attorney representing the 3 utilities on Palm and Little Gasparilla Islands. He proposed connecting to EWD at the expense of the Island Utilities, with a demand range of 200,000 to 300,000 GPD. The permit for construction of a subaqueous crossing has already been issued. Mr. Ray added that it would be one meter, capacity is available, and it would be of no cost to the District. Currently EWD has a similar type of agreement with Charlotte County Utilities for the interconnect.
Lengthy discussion ensued and a motion made.

Mr. Meals moved, “To authorize the Attorney and Staff to work with the Island Utilities to bring back an agreement at a future date and also to amend the customer rules to read bulk rate instead of government rate.” Seconded by Mr. Manke

Unanimous                                                                                                                11-10-06 A

4.      CONSENT SECTION – Chair Samuels asked for comments and/or corrections to the consent section. Hearing none,

Mr. Manke moved, “To pass the Consent Section.” Seconded by Ms. Wright

Unanimous

         a. Minutes of the Regular Meeting dated September 1, 2011             
11-10-06 CS A
b. Attorney’s Invoice dated September 6, 2011 & September 29, 2011
11-10-06 CS B
5.      DISCUSSION ITEM (moved to public input)
a. Outsource Water Supply – Palm and Little Gasparilla Islands

6.      ACTION ITEM
a. Headworks Sandblast and Painting Project – Mr. Ray introduced the item, this is a budgeted item exceeding the Administrator’s authority.

Mr. Meals moved, “To accept proposal #1376-A dated September 16, 2011 from Leo Pfliger Construction in the amount of $29,070.00. Project costs to be taken from Water Reclamation Operating Expenditures.” Seconded by Ms. Wright

Unanimous                                                                                                                11-10-06 B

         b. Continuation of Meter Replacement Program – Mr. Ray presented the item; this is a budgeted item exceeding the Administrator’s authority.

Ms. Crampton moved, “1) To authorize the sole-source procurement of water meters from Sunstate Meters/Neptune for consistency within the system. Funds to come from Water Revenue.  2) To authorize the Administrator to issue Purchase Orders exceeding $25,000, but not in excess of the amount budgeted for the Meter Replacement Program.” Seconded by Mr. Manke

Unanimous                                                                                                    11-10-06 C

7.      ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT – Michael J. Ray

         a. WATER OPERATIONS MANAGER– Roger K. Quick
1. Quarterly Samples – the last samples for 2011were sent out, all good reports for lead and copper.
2. Wellfield 4 – all the wiring for one of the wells is being replaced; this is an in-house project.
3. Wellfield 5 – the chlorides in 2 or 3 wells have consistently been high, we are working with Atkins and SWFWMD to reduce the pumps and motors in these wells to conduct a test to prove either the chlorides will drop with less flow or stay the same, if they stay the same over a long period of time we will have history enough to change the chloride levels on these wells.
4. Flushing – the Distribution Department is flushing in several areas. Signs have been posted informing the public of the procedure. 

b. TECHNICAL/OPERATIONS SUPPORT MANAGER - Jarl ‘Jay’ D. Linden, P.E. Mr. Linden reviewed his written report with updates.
1.    Reclaimed Water Aquifer Storage Recovery – attended a meeting with ASRus September 15th to approve the memorandum. A meeting with FDEP and SWFWMD will be requested to review the results and submit the request to use the reuse pond as a supplemental supply.
2.  Dearborn Street Drainage Project – attended a meeting on September 22nd
with several other utility representatives to review final utility adjustments.
3.  V9-A Vacuum Sewer and Watermain Replacement Project – ten firms attended the pre-construction meeting September 27th.  An addendum is being prepared to answer questioned asks by contractors. The bid opening has been scheduled for October 18th. Final permits and easements are being worked on.                       
4. WRF Odor Control – still fine-tuning the system, payment will be made when we are satisfied with the results. The consent order due date is November 23, 2011.
5. PRMRWSA Meeting – attended the meeting September 12th, it was held to coordinate the local utilities in the event of an emergency during the installation of the new transmission main from the plant to North Port and Port Charlotte.
6. Mast-head Arm Replacement Project– attended a meeting on September 26th to discuss replacement of the mast-head arms along SR 776. If the existing foundations must be replaced, it will have a huge impact on our underground utilities.                                                                                      

c. FINANCE DIRECTOR – Sonia R. Zoeller
1.  Susan Franklin – Customer Service Manager
a. Gearing up for season, had 154 turn-ons last month.
b. Commercial backflows are 95% compliant.
c. Meter change out and 5 year meter testing is continuing.     
d. Preparing end of the year processing and reports for the Auditors.
e. Foreclosures and bankruptcies are being worked on. Currently the 90 day       outstanding balance is $289,000 equaling 353 delinquent accounts, up from the previous month. There are liens on all properties.

Ms. Zoeller continued with her report.
1. Banking Selection Meeting – the Committee met September 29th to review and finalize the RFP; it will be advertised soon and posted on our website.
2. Audit – preparing for the Auditors, they will be here in November and January.
3. Payroll Upgrade – is proceeding, training for Managers and Employees will be scheduled soon.
4. Investment Report – there is currently $13.8M in investments; on October 1st the $1.2M debt service payment was made.

Mr. Ray concluded the Administrator’s report.

8.      ATTORNEY’S REPORT – Robert H. Berntsson - None

9.      OLD BUSINESS - None

10.    PUBLIC COMMENT - None

11.    NEW BUSINESS – Chair Samuels questioned the need for the October 20th meeting. Board consensus was to cancel the meeting with the next scheduled meeting being held November 3, 2011.

12.    BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS - None

13.    ADJOURN @ 9:44 A.M.

________________________
Taylor Meals – Vice Chair

/tlh