ENGLEWOOD WATER DISTRICT BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
201 SELMA AVENUE
AUGUST 18, 2011 at 8:30 A.M.
Board of Supervisors:
Steve Samuels, Chair
Taylor Meals, Vice-Chair
Sydney Crampton (absent)
Michael J. Ray, Administrator
Robert H. Berntsson, District Counsel
Jarl “Jay” D. Linden, P.E., Technical/Operations Support Manager
Sonia R. Zoeller, Finance Director
Philip E. Wagoner, Wastewater Operations Manager
Teresa L. Herzog, Administrative Assistant
1. The meeting began with the Pledge of Allegiance and roll call to establish a quorum.
2. ANNOUNCEMENTS – None
3. SERVICE AWARDS – Chair Samuels presented a 10-year service award to Technical/Operations Manager Jay Linden with thanks and congratulations.
4. PUBLIC INPUT – None
5. CONSENT SECTION – Chair Samuels asked for comments and/or corrections to the consent section. Hearing none,
Mr. Meals moved, “To approve the consent section.” Seconded by Mr. Manke
a) Minutes of the Regular Meeting dated August 4, 2011 11-08-18 CS A
6. ACTION ITEM - None
7. DISCUSSION ITEM
a) FY2012 Budget – Mr. Ray introduced the budget for Fiscal Year 2012 reviewing the highlights, calling for questions and indicating that at the Board’s discretion the budget could be approved today, adding that there will not be a full Board again for the next 3 meetings. Board discussion ensued and a motion made. Mr. Meals moved, “To approve as printed.” Seconded by Ms. Wright
Unanimous 11-08-18 A
8. ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT – Michael J. Ray
a) WASTEWATER OPERATIONS MANAGER– Philip E. Wagoner
1. Odor Scrubber – installation is proceeding and start-up is anticipated for next week.
2. Headwork piping – working on bid requests for replacement of piping, corrosion repair and repainting.
b) TECHNICAL/OPERATIONS SUPPORT MANAGER - Jarl ‘Jay’ D. Linden, P.E. Mr. Linden reviewed his written report with updates and additions.
1. ASR Supplemental Reclaimed Water Source – the test will conclude this month and a meeting will be scheduled with Mark McNeal of ASRus, LLC.
2. CCNA Process – will be presented at the September 1st Board meeting.
3. Sarasota County Sidewalk Project Phase I - 85% complete.
4. Sarasota County Water Interconnect – Kuxhausen was not awarded the contract and will present their final appeal to the Board of County Commissioners soon.
5. V9-A Vacuum Sewer and Watermain Replacement Project - The ROW application has been submitted to the County and staff will be working with GWE to prepare the bid package.
6. Elsie Quirk Library Drainage Project - complete.
7. Boca Royale Development – a meeting with Kimley Horne was held August 4th to update the new management company. They have requested a letter of availability.
8. Crews on State Road 776 – are installing conduit to computerize all traffic lights in Sarasota County resulting in the request for many locates of EWD equipment.
9. Manor Road sidewalk project –the ROW has been purchased and the location of the sidewalk has been moved, it will run from SR776 to Placida Road.
c) FINANCE DIRECTOR – Sonia R. Zoeller - none
Mr. Ray concluded the Administrator’s report.
9. ATTORNEY’S REPORT – Robert H. Berntsson - none
10. OLD BUSINESS - none
11. PUBLIC COMMENT – Mr. Joseph Blais - 7372 Cary Street East Englewood - Mr. Blais congratulated the Board and Staff for running such an impressive organization and invited them to attend Commissioner Skidmore’s Town Hall meeting on September 7th from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. at the Tringali Center. A copy of the Lemon Bay League Water Quality Initiative was also referenced and copies distributed to the Board after the meeting.
12. NEW BUSINESS – Mr. Meals tasked staff with reviewing all existing loans for possible refinancing at lower interest rates. Mr. Meals also questioned the need for two Board meetings in September since the budget was passed. Mr. Ray responded that the September 1st meeting is necessary for the CCNA review and approval. After discussion it was decided that the September 15, 2011 meeting would be cancelled.
13. BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS – Board members Mr. Meals and Chair Samuels commended Staff on a well presented budget with no rate increases.
14. ADJOURN @ 9:34
Taylor Meals, Vice- Chair